Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Habit or Ritual?

I've been giving some serious thought to two words that get thrown around frequently in the English language. Sometimes they're used interchangeably, but not wisely so. I don't mean to imply that one of these words is "good" and one is "bad", but simply that they each have their place in our lives. What are these words I'm alluding to? Habit and ritual

Miriam Webster defines habit as:

a :  a behavior pattern acquired by frequent repetition or physiologic exposure that shows itself in regularity or increased facility of performance
b :  an acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary <got up early from force of habit>
c :  addiction <a drug habit>

This naturally sets me to thinking, what are some habits that I have in my life? What are some behaviors that I've acquired simply out of repetition, that I do involuntarily...that I'm addicted to? Well, I can think of some examples, some pleasant ones, some unpleasant ones. Can impatience be a habit? I started practicing impatience so long ago that I've become quite proficient at it. How about the way I load the dishwasher? I know exactly where to put the cheese grater and the pot lids and the bread knife without even batting an eye. Making sure all the curtains are drawn, the doors are locked, and the closet doors are closed before I settle into bed. That's a serious habit of mine.

So what is this other word ritual all about? Ritual is defined as:

a :  ritual observance; specifically :  a system of rites
b :  a ceremonial act or action
c :  an act or series of acts regularly repeated in a set precise manner

One of my favorite rituals? Brushing my teeth. Some might say that's a habit, but there is some level of ceremony involved. I don't just do it involuntarily, I consciously choose every night to walk into the bathroom and squeeze just the perfect amount of minty calmness onto the brush, lather up my pearly-somewhat-whites and stare at myself in the mirror. 

That's the difference. We might do something out of habit for the simple sake that it's a habit. When we participate in a ritual, we do it for the benefits it brings and not for the sake of the ritual itself. Because the minute you find you're doing it for the sake of the ritual and not for the benefits, you've just demoted it to a habit. Brushing my teeth in and of itself isn't all that meaningful, but because It plays a major role in my overall night's rest it becomes a nightly ritual. 

Punchline? Have you, like me, ever let your rituals turn into mere habits? Prayer, yoga, kisses, eating, going to church, reciting the pledge of allegiance...even breathing? Let's reclaim them. There are lots of theories out there about how to create habits. The most popular theory is that if you keep it up for twenty-one days--viola--it's a habit. Maybe. But here the goal is to transform a habit of something into a ritual. In that case the hardest part is already done. You've got the repetition down. Now just add a dash of sincerity, a pinch of intention, and a dollop of gratitude...you'll be well on your way.

Someone I greatly admire (that's you mom) once taught me that the word ritual is contained within the word spiritual. That's either the craziest coincidence of all time or there's a deeper message. Let's do the math: Habit + Spirit =  Sacred Ritual

Now turn off the computer and go kiss someone you love, say a heartfelt prayer, breathe in the glorious oxygen that gives you yet another moment to be alive, or heck, just brush your teeth. I swear, you'll never be the same.



www.gobodhiyoga.com

No comments:

Post a Comment